How to apply
The school opened for applications on January 28 2019. Applications proceed as follows:
- First, you must be eligible - check the eligibility criteria below. The application process begins with an online eligibility questionnaire.
- If you are eligible, you will be provided with a link to a secure application form and payment system.
To be eligible to participate in the summer school, you must:
- be enrolled on a PhD in condensed matter physics or a related area on August 5 2019; and
- if you are not a national of an EU country (or Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein or Switzerland), hold a visa that allows you to study in the UK; and
- have not participated before!
The full fee for the school is £1000 if you share a room with another participant and £1000 if you occupy a single room.
There is a deposit of £500 to pay on applying.
Further information about funding
Physics by the Lake is the UK Summer School for condensed matter theory PhD students. EPSRC-funded students, either in CDTs of DTPs can ultimately get EPSRC funding for the school. Non-EPSRC and non-UK students are also welcome, and we have reduced the cost by £400 for all students thanks to sponsorship from IOP, CCP5, CCPmag, CCP9, CECAM and the Higgs Centre for Theoretical Physics.
The cost is £1000 comprising a £500 deposit (payable at registration) and £500 final payment.
A few places are reserved for our sponsors, but otherwise applications are taken on a first-come first-served basis. In previous years the school has filled before the closing date.
EPSRC has given funds to your University for this type of training, and this is handled differently by each University. Your University may be able to pay directly (ask your CDT or graduate school administration). Otherwise you can pay by card and get reimbursed. We can provide invoices on request.
Applications and payments will be made through a secure site hosted by the Higgs Centre at University of Edinburgh, UK.
Begin your application